For anyone following along on a regular basis, you’ll notice that the website update from two weeks ago is gone. What happened? Well, it’s a bit of a long story. I started working on the website redesign way back in June and then coded everything in July. After a couple of months of working out the artwork that was needed, I basically had everything done and published the update and everything was good.
But, as I started to poke around the site and see how everything worked together, it wasn’t quite the user experience that I had been hoping for. The main issue for me was the way the comic pages displayed in the browser window. While I really liked the idea of creating “title page art” and having that be on the left-hand side of the screen, it just took up too much room and the comic pages were pushed off screen. On top of that, as I was working through my art direction and design posts and the design of the book, I realized that the site wasn’t fitting exactly with the other elements that I was working on.
Then there was one other problem. I’ve been working on one major update to the site that I was hoping to have go live this week but the existing design and code were just not working. Something had to change.
So, I made the executive decision last night to dump the OTV V2.0 site and begin work on OTV V3.0 today. Not everything is completely lost as you’ll see, but for the most part, the “design” has been overhauled and I’ve tried to integrate some of the overall art direction further into the site. As a result, the site is much cleaner and should be easier to use (the sidebar’s back! you can find what I’ve been blathering on about again!).
This has all happened really quickly so obviously not everything is worked through. But I’ll keep plugging away and adding in new features as I go. Thanks for understanding and let me know what you think!